[Tutor] Error handling in functions / main program

Lloyd Kvam pythonTutor at venix.com
Thu Aug 12 17:34:29 CEST 2004

This is tough to answer and depends a lot on the context.  Different
folks are likely to give different responses.

My rules of thumb:

	User input NEVER causes a program failure.  try/except catches ALL
errors and provides a (hopefully) useful error message and a chance to
provide valid input.

	If the program fails in an unexpected area, report the failure and
exit.  This is likely to be a blanket try/except in main.  It does NOT
try to keep the program running, but simply provides a graceful
shutdown.  I like to email program traces back to me so that I can
quickly respond to problems.

I think that each try/except should be carefully programmed to deal with
EXPECTED errors.  A try/except that covers too much will likely do the
wrong thing when presented with the unexpected error.  My programs
usually have only a handful of try/except statements usually related to
user-input errors, network errors, and those fairly rare cases where
processing errors are expected and there is a reasonable recovery
strategy.