[Tutor] Error handling in functions / main program

Kent Johnson kent_johnson at skillsoft.com
Thu Aug 12 17:35:05 CEST 2004

Klas,

In general I think it is a good idea if functions check there inputs for
validity and generate a meaningful error. That way, if the function is used
by multiple clients, you don't have to duplicate the checking code.

A lot depends on who will be using the program and what the cost is of an
error. If the program is just for you and it is easy to set up and fast to
run, it might be OK to leave out any error checking and have it terminate
with a stack trace when there is an error. You will understand what the
stack trace is telling you, kick yourself for your silly mistake, and try
again.

On the other hand if the program is for use by other people, or if it
requires a complex setup or takes a long time to run, you might want to be
more careful with your error checking and making helpful error messages.
You don't want a program to run for 5 minutes and then crash because you
misspelled an argument, and you don't want users to have to come to you and
ask you 'what does this mean' because they got a stack trace.

For me a lot of error checking is reactive, because you don't know in
advance what kinds of errors users will get. Of course you try to think it
through in advance, but you will always be surprised. Many errors will be
due to unexpected inputs or unexpected environment. When a user comes to
you with a problem, ask yourself, "How could I have detected that? What
could the program do so the user can figure out the problem himself?" Make
the change so you don't get that question any more.

Kent