[Tutor] _Object Thinking_, by David West

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sat Aug 14 22:03:52 CEST 2004

Alan Gauld wrote at 12:35 8/14/2004:
> > I also noticed an interesting but difficult book, _Object Thinking_,
>by
> > David West, (Microsoft Press,  2004). I'm wondering what the tutors
>think
> > of this book. Here's a link to the book on Amazon:
>http://tinyurl.com/6zypm
>
>I haven't read it but from the reviews I'd expect:
>1) its theoretical rather than practice based, which is normally
>    most useful after you have the basics of OOP syntax etc well
>    understood
>2) It's jumping on the "Agile Methods" bandwagon which is sweeeping
>    the industry just now. Agile methods are effective within their
>    domain(*), and that domain matches the area where languages like
>    Python live, so there might be a good match for readers of this
>    group.
>
>But on a cautionary note: theoretical book on OO tend to become
>very abstract very quickly, and often don't translate well into
>everyday practice. (And I've read a lot of 'em!)
>
>If you want to understand OOP I'd still recommend something like
>Timothy Budds classic OOP book or Grady Booch's classic OOA/D first.

Is this the Budds book: http://tinyurl.com/6v68l ?

My local library has  "Object-oriented analysis and design with
applications" by Grady Booch. I assume this is the one you mean? I'm 6th
in line for the one copy. And there are several very inexpensive copies
available through Bookfinder.com.

Dick Moores