[Tutor] Attempting to install Boa Constructor

python at pointcontrol.com python at pointcontrol.com
Wed Aug 18 17:46:59 CEST 2004

Greetings, all.

I am new to Python, and am investigating it on the advice of a friend. He
does Python development on a Windows box. I'd like to do it on a laptop I
have running Fedora. (It was running Redhat 8, but I was getting so many
dependency issues trying to get Boa Constructor loaded, I wiped the laptop
and started over with Fedora.)

I've installed Python 2.3.4 and confirmed that it's what is launching.

I've downloaded and run the wxPython 2.4.2.4 rpm. And I've unzipped the
boa-constructor-0.2.3.src.zip file.

My Python is installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.3, so when the
boa-constructor zip file created a directory called boa-constructor-0.2.3, I
put that in the python2.3 directory. That makes the path to boa.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/boa-constructor-0.2.3/boa.py

But when I try to get it to run, like this:
[barry at dhcppc3 python2.3]$ python
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/boa-constructor-0.2.3/boa.py

I get:
python: can't open file
'/usr/local/lib/python2.3/boa-constructor-0.2.3/boa.py'
Any ideas what I should be doing differently?
All software installs were done by root. This left the permissions for the
boa-constrctor files as read/write/no-execute for everyone other than root.
Do the files need to be set to be executable?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

-- b.r.t.