[Tutor] Installing wxPython on fresh Fedora box - failed dependency

python at pointcontrol.com python at pointcontrol.com
Fri Aug 20 20:29:32 CEST 2004

Greetings.

I'm new to both Linux and Python, and trying to kill two birds with one
stone by setting up a Python development laptop using Fedora. (Glutton for
punishment?)

The Fedora Core 1 installation is fresh, from .iso images I downloaded this
week from a mirror of the Redhat site. I made sure I had it install all the
development tools during the install (using the GUI installer).

The first thing I did (after setting up users) was go to python.org and get
these Python version 2.3.4 RPMs:
python2.3-2.3.4-3pydotorg.i386.rpm
python2.3-devel-2.3.4-3pydotorg.i386.rpm
python2.3-docs-2.3.4-3pydotorg.i386.rpm
python2.3-tkinter-2.3.4-3pydotorg.i386.rpm
python2.3-tools-2.3.4-3pydotorg.i386.rpm

These reported no errors using rpm -ivh *.rpm from a root login.

Next, I went to wxpython.org to get these RPMs:
wxPythonGTK2-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1.src.rpm
wxPythonGTK-devel-2.4.2.4-1.i386.rpm
wxPythonGTK-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1.i386.rpm
wxPythonGTK-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1.src.rpm

Note that I'm getting version 2.4.2.4 because my intent is to use Boa
Constructor, and it is not yet compatible with the newer wxPython release.

But when I tried to install these, wxPythonGTK-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1.i386.rpm (the
third one in the above list) gave me the error:
Error: Failed dependencies:
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is needed by wxPythonGTK-py2.3-2.4.2.4-1

My problem is that I'm new enough with Linux that, while I have a sematic
understanding of the error message, I have no idea how to resolve it.

I had thought that all the necessary libraries would have been installed
when I put Fedora on the box, or at least when I upgraded my Python install.
Is it possible that something just got missed in the Fedora install? At this
point, if I wipe the laptop (again) and reinstall, I've lost nothing but
time (and that's to be expected in this kind of journey anyway).

Any suggestions as to my best course of action would be most appreciated.

-- b.r.t.