[Tutor] Useing Functions

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Aug 20 20:40:30 CEST 2004

Chad Crabtree wrote:

> Use Functions.  Very Very Important, it's the product of millions of
> years of evolution.  So yes use functions.

At work, I do a lot of programming in a very old dialect of Basic that
doesn't *have* proper functions, or any concept of variable scope.
(You can create "external subroutines", a separate program file that
acts as a function, and which can only return values through the use
of its (by-reference) parameters, but that's fairly awkward.)

After years of working in an environment where a longish program is
loaded with gotos, gosubs, and page after page of deeply nested
if/then/else statements...  Trust me, you *want* to use functions as
much as practical.  Oh, how I wish I could use functions here!  (Let's
be honest, I wish I could use Python instead of Basic, but somehow I
don't expect a port of Python to the Pick database virtual OS anytime
soon... :P )

Anyhow, yes.  Functions good.  OO and classes even better.  Use them
and appreciate them, for life without them is ugly and scary.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International