[Tutor] Problem with file()

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:37:54 CEST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Bernard Lebel wrote:

> > Personally, I've been using open() instead of file() in my own code.
> > (I like to keep my functions as verbs.)  There was some discussion in
> > another thread that suggests that open() is still the preferred way to
> > do a file open:
> >
> >     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-July/045921.html
> >
> > Talk to you later!
>
> Well..... on this very list people encouraged me to use the file()
> constructor instead of open()!

Hi Bernard,

The thread linked above is a facinating read that shows that even the
Python developers can be confused.  I get the strong impression, now, that
'open()' is the preferred approach, especially from Guido's last message
on the subject:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-July/045931.html