[Tutor] (no subject)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 01:33:35 CEST 2004

> > question: How can I run a program in the background? As far as I
> > know DOS is a single task environment,

DOS is but Windows isn't. (although support in early Windows was
a bit half hearted!). However even in DOS there were things called
TSRs that gave the illusion of running in the background, but they
are a wee bit tricky to write. But if you use DR DOS(Or Novell DOS)
that had full pre-emptive multi tasking and you could run multiple
command shells.

Windows 9x also runs things preemptively but the implementation is
a wee bit flaky, Windows NT/2K/XP all do much better.

> > in the background? If not how can it be done in UNIX?

Unix is multi tasking from the ground up. To run a command in the
background just put an ampersand at the end of the command.

HTH,

Alan G.