[Tutor] Connecting to interactive program

Vincent Nijs v-nijs at kellogg.northwestern.edu
Wed Dec 1 23:10:03 CET 2004

Hi,

I am trying to send information from an editor (vim) to an interative
program (say the Python commandline, R, Matlab, etc.).

I have tried to connect a named pipe to the interactive program using
mkfifo. For some reason this doesn't work properly however (<eof> seems to
be the first thing sent).

Could anyone provide a very very simple example where from a terminal
command line I could send, say, 'x=3' to an open interactive python session?
I'd like to have something that works on WinXP and Mac (or Linux).

Thanks!

Vincent