[Tutor] Could I have used time or datetime modules here?

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sun Dec 5 21:03:10 CET 2004

Thanks, Brian. I looked at your code a long time, and also read the 11/26
thread you started. I can see how I could use datetime() and your t2 - t1
to get the seconds for time.sleep(), but  the resulting code I have in
mind is more convoluted than the heart of my timer3.py, which I quote
below.  (I don't need the alarm time to be more than 24 hours from
current time--therefore I want to ignore the year, month, and day.)

=======================================
import time

alarm = raw_input("Enter alarm time as hhmm: ")

now = time.strftime("%X")  # produces current time in format  hh:mm:ss
nowSecond = int(now[6:])
nowMinute = int(now[3:5])
nowHour = int(now[0:2])

alarmMinute = int(alarm[2:4])
alarmHour = int(alarm[0:2])

hoursDiff = alarmHour - nowHour
minutesDiff = alarmMinute - nowMinute

if hoursDiff < 0 or (hoursDiff == 0 and minutesDiff <= 0):
     hoursDiff = hoursDiff + 24 # add a day

sleepSeconds = hoursDiff*3600 + minutesDiff*60 - nowSecond

time.sleep(sleepSeconds)
If I'm wrong, could someone please set me right?

Dick