[Tutor] Address book sort of

Eri Mendz jerimed at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 6 05:55:11 CET 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Jacob S. wrote:

> I did something like this about three or four months ago...
> This is what I did. Notice the use of the built-in str() and eval()
> functions to write and receive data to and from Telephone.cfg...

Thanks a lot Jacob, and to all who replied. I'll go through the code
definitely. I started building that address book last night and its
pretty crude. I hit a snag though: i was able to save the name/email
address pairs and write to disk. But i cant get it to load on startup. My
location is several dirs down my home directory. Of course the pickled
file is in same directory as the code. Its something like:

         if select == '1' or select == 'v' or select == 'V':
             if file_in_disk in os.listdir('/home/jerimed'):     # change???
                 fhandle = open(file_in_disk, 'r')       # read mode
                 cPickle.load(fhandle)                   # restore saved data
                 fhandle.close()
                 show_contacts()
             elif len(data_holder) > 0:
                 show_contacts()
             else:
                 is_empty()

/home/jerimed should be changed and should be dynamic to match wherever
the python script is. Can you guyz advise? And is that first
if-statement right? I like to know if im doing the right thing.

How do i pretty print output of dictionary container? Sort of tabular
form or something, e.g.,

1. name1	email address1
2. name2	email address2

Just for my learning experience :-). Thanks!

--
Regards,
Eri Mendz