[Tutor] Re: Could I have used time or datetime modules here?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:33:59 CET 2004

[Dick Moores]
> Brian, where did you learn about the ".seconds". And
> the .year, .month,.day of
>
> "alarm_datetime = datetime.datetime(now.year + 4, now.month,
>          now.day, alarm_hour, alarm_minute)"?
>
> Does this come from a general knowledge of OOP, or is it
> somewhere in the Python docs? The only thing I've seen, and it's
> not an explanation, is in note (1) on
> http://docs.python.org/lib/datetime-date.html

On that very page, the instance attributes of datetime objects are documented:

"""
Instance attributes (read-only):

year
Between MINYEAR and MAXYEAR inclusive.

month
Between 1 and 12 inclusive.

day
Between 1 and the number of days in the given month of the given year.
"""

That's how you know that a datetime instance d has d.year, d.month and
d.day attributes, and how you know what they mean.  The docs for the
other datetime module objects have similar sections.