[Tutor] How to find complex roots

Matt Williams matthew.williams at cancer.org.uk
Thu Dec 9 12:21:20 CET 2004

Dick Mores wrote:
<snip>
My trusty $10 Casio calculator tells me that the 3 cube roots of 1 are:
1, (-.5 +0.866025403j), and (-.5 -0.866025403j), or thereabouts. Is
there
a way to do this in Python?

<snip>

I think the neatest approach might be to consider that the n-complex
roots form at equal angle around the origin on an Argand diagram
(basically a cartesian plane) - here the points (in "standard")
cartesian notation are at (1,0), (-0.5, 0.86) and (-0.5, -0.86). The
whole effect looks a bit like a Mercedes-Benz symbol rotated clockwise
by 90 degrees. The points, in this case, lie on the unit circle.

As a result, I think you could just divide 360 by n (for the n-roots),
set the 1st root at (1,0) and then position the others around the
circle, incrementing by the required number of degrees.

If I've remembered correctly, for c where |c| <>1, the argument is the
same, but you need to take the nth root of the absolute value of c (this
can be ignored when we're doing it for 1, as of course the nth root of 1
is 1).

Obviously I haven't included any code....but I hope this helps a bit.

Matt

P.S. Thrilled to be able to answer something on the tutor list, instead
of just asking dumb questions!
--
Dr. M. Williams MRCP(UK)
Clinical Research Fellow,Cancer Research UK

The views, opinions and judgements expressed in this message are solely those of the author.
The message may not have been reviewed or approved by Cancer Research UK