[Tutor] Capturing Logfile data in Windows

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 18:28:56 CET 2004

Hi List,

I have a closed-source application which creates log files. I'd like to
capture this logfile data as it is crated, and do clever things with it!

Is this possible? I guess it must be, because there are "tail" type
utilities for Windows...

Is it possible in Python? I'd be grateful for any pointers!

BTW, it doesn't matter either way whether I can somehow pipe the log
output to my program /without/ the file actually being created, or if I
can capture it /as/ it is created - I just need to get my mitts on the
data as it is generated...it would be better if I had the file as well,
but it is not essential...

Thanks in Anticipation!

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk / Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation." - Alasdair Gray