[Tutor] Capturing Logfile data in Windows

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 01:33:28 CET 2004

> I have a closed-source application which creates log files. I'd like
> capture this logfile data as it is crated, and do clever things with
it!

> Is this possible? I guess it must be, because there are "tail" type
> utilities for Windows...

Depends on whether the output goes to stdout or stderr or a hard coded
file. Usually log files are hard coded so you need to write a tail
like
utility. You could do this but why not just download a free one such
as that from cygwin?

If you must write your own start off by looking at the C source code
for the standard Linux/Cygwin tail program to see how they do it.
Its probably easy to convert that to Python and safer than
guessing the best approach...

Alan G.