[Tutor] Problem with python2.4.

Orri Ganel singingxduck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 01:40:09 CET 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:31:22 -0500, Jacob S. <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
>     Nothing I can do can fix my problem. It appears as though pythonw.exe is
> not working properly in the python 2.4 distribution. I have tried numerous
> things to try and fix it. The only way I can run Tk scripts and the like is
> to use the pythonw.exe from the 2.3 distribution. This includes idle. I am
> running Windows XP and I still can't figure out what's wrong. Nothing has
> changed with it since the release version of python2.4 to the final version.
> Can anyone help me with my predicament? The symptoms: I click on edit with
> idle--which runs the command "C:\python24\pythonw.exe"
> "C:\python24\lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -n -e "%1" --then the computer thinks for
> a bit and is silent. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and the task manager pops up. I look
> in processes, and nothing about pythonw.exe is in there like it should be.
> What should I do?

I had a similar problem with some of the early versions of 2.4 (beta,
release candidate), and it seems to me, looking back, that some of the
other programs I had running simultaneously blocked the sockets or
something . . . In any case, I usually made sure I wasn't running any
other programs when *opening* IDLE, and, if that didn't help, I
restarted the computer. However, even when the IDLE shell didn't work
properly, the "Edit with IDLE" functioned operated smoothly, so I
can't say for sure that it will help. Have you tried emailing the
idle-dev mailing list?

HTH,
Orri

Email: dragonfirebane at aol.com