[Tutor] Problem with python2.4.

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Dec 10 01:54:07 CET 2004

Orri Ganel wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:31:22 -0500, Jacob S. <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
>
>> [...]  It appears as though pythonw.exe is
>>not working properly in the python 2.4 distribution.

> I had a similar problem with some of the early versions of 2.4 (beta,
> release candidate), and it seems to me, looking back, that some of the
> other programs I had running simultaneously blocked the sockets or
> something . . .

Seeing this comment reminded me of some conversations I've seen in
comp.lang.python recently.  Apparently newer versions of IDLE create a
subprocess to run user-code in (so that IDLE runs in a different
interpreter than the code you type into IDLE), and communicates with
that subprocess through sockets on the loopback interface (that is,
the 'network connection' that connects only to itself).  Overly
aggressive firewall programs may block those socket operations.

I'd check whether XP's built-in firewall is enabled, and if so, check
whether it might be blocking connections to loopback / localhost /
127.0.0.1 (all of these indicate the same thing).

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International