[Tutor] Python 2.4 IDLE Windows 2000

EJP ejp at zomething.com
Sat Dec 11 05:28:15 CET 2004

Mike Hansen <mhansen at cso.atmel.com> wrote of an idle IDLE:

> That rooted out the problem. A while ago, I changed the colors to kind
> of match my VIM color theme(ps_color). When I did
> idlelib.PyShell.main(), IDLE came up with my custom color theme.
> However, there was a bunch of warnings about my theme. From IDLE, I
> deleted the theme. Now IDLE will launch normally. I'll set up the color
>
> theme later. Maybe older color themes aren't compatible with the newer
> IDLE? The color theme must have been laying around. I didn't brute
> force
> it in or anything like that.
>

> >IDLE is a
> >part of the Standard Library, so it's actually possible to try turning
> on
> >individual pieces of it, one after the other.  Maybe that will help us
> >debug what's going on.
> >
> >Start up your console version of Python, and try:

Just a +1 to Mike's problem (and the solution).  For sake of Googlers searching on error output (which I've done before), here are the errors I was getting on my machine when trying to launch IDLE.  Note, when I tried to open a .py file with IDLE the file would not open at all (and there were no error messages) - interesting that the whole process failed - is the missing error handling on the win or python side (no reason for these to have been fatal errors...)

Ah, now I can enjoy 2.4.  Thanks!

my error output (win32):

>>> import idlelib.PyShell
>>> idlelib.PyShell.main()

 Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetThemeDict -
 problem retrieving theme element 'builtin-background'
 from theme 'sagecomments'.
 returning default value: '#ffffff'

 Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetThemeDict -
 problem retrieving theme element 'builtin-foreground'
 from theme 'sagecomments'.
 returning default value: '#000000'