[Tutor] OT?: how to google just the 2.4 tutorial?

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Mon Dec 13 00:27:21 CET 2004

Brian van den Broek wrote at 10:43 12/12/2004:
>Dick Moores said unto the world upon 2004-12-12 11:53:
>>I know how to limit google search results to a single site, but is it
>>possible to google just one section of a site?
>>I'd like to be able to search just the 2.4 tutorial,
>>http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/tut/tut.html
>>Possible? And if so, how to?
>>Thanks,
>>Dick Moores
>>rdm at rcblue.com
>
>Hey Dick and all,
>
>that's odd. I tried searching with
>   site:www.python.org/doc/
>and
>   site:www.python.org/doc
>but neither gave hits. :-(
>
> From the "Department of there has to be a better way, but . . . ",
>try entering something like this into the google search box:
>   site:www.python.org inurl:tut string
>
>That will search www.python.org pages with 'tut' in the url that have
>'string' in the page body. That doesn't restrict it to 2.4, or non-dev docs.
>
>My best attempt:
>   site:www.python.org inurl:tut -inurl:dev inurl:current string
>still pulls up hits like <www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/tut/node10.html>
>which don't have 'current' in the url. And, adding inurl:node to the
>suggested search yields no results, either. I'm not sure why. :-|
>
>So, none of this gets you there, but it does get you closer.
>
><http://www.google.com/help/operators.html> shows how to use some of the
>more esoteric google operators.
>
>You might also check out (and maybe improve)
><http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GoogleTips>.

Thanks, Brian.

I stumbled across http://docs.python.org as a site, so at least searching
within Python docs (which include the tutorial) is possible.

For example,
site:http://docs.python.org "complex number"
This finds 23 results, compared to the 334 returned by
site:http://www.python.org "complex number"

To find the results for the tutorial, search the results page for
site:http://docs.python.org "complex number" and search the page on
"/tut/". These will be for the tutorial. There are just 2 for "complex
number"

A much simpler way to find things in the tutorial (after all) seems to be
to use the "Python Documentation" help file that comes with 2.4. I
searched on
"complex number" tutorial  and got 3 hits, the 2 found with the method of
the paragraph immediately above, plus one more in the index of the tutorial.

Dick