[Tutor] least squares

mdcooper mdcooper at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 16 23:24:14 CET 2004

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply - I was purposely vague just to see what people would ask
for.

The code uses LinearAlgebra.py from Numeric and LeastSquares.py from
Scientific.

I am trying to get a corrolation between a large number of variables and for
many similar equations :
   (Ca1 * xa^2) + (Ca2 * ya^2) + (Ca3 * za^2) + ... = ta
   (Cb1 * xb^2) + (Cb2 * yb^2) + (Cb3 * zb^2) + ... = tb

which is solved to get:
   (C1 * x^2) + (C2 * y^2) + (C3 * z^2) + ... = t

    where the submitted values of x,y, and z should give the correct t

and I am using the code to get C1, C2, C3, .... These constants are not
allowed to be negative and the submitted equations are such that there is no
reason for the values to be negative, and although a good fit may allow them
to be negative, another good fit will be found if they are all positive.

I need them to be all positive but also all to exist, so filtering out the
negative numbers is not sufficient.

Thanks,

Matt