[Tutor] Environment Variables On Windows

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Dec 27 12:02:33 CET 2004

> Anyway, I got to the Using Environment Variables chapter that is in
> this page: http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/cgi/ch02_02.html.
> This is UNIX environment variables (as I understand), and I guess
they
> will not work on Windows...

They should work on both.
THere are some variables that are different but the CGI type
ones should be pretty much identical I think.

> So what are the Windows environment variables and how can I use them
> with python (like any other variable or in a special way?) ?

You can see the environment variables currently set on
your PC by opening a DOS box and typing SET

On NT/W2K/XP you can also find them via the System Properties
applet

Alan G.