[Tutor] Maths (slightly OT)

Cwikla, Joe CwiklaJ at diebold.com
Tue Feb 3 15:03:20 EST 2004

Electrical Engineering. AC circuit analysis, Electromagnetics ...
the list goes on.  Without a solid knowledge of logs/exponents it's
just impossible.

And, when it comes to larger numbers, I find it easier to do
everyday mental math with exponents.

Let's see ... this yard is about

400 feet x 80 feet=(4x8)x(10**2)x(10**1)=32x10**3 sq feet
Each bag of fertilizer covers 16,000    =16x10**3 sq feet per bag

32    10**3
-- X  ----- = 'I'll take two bags please'
16    10**3

Good luck with your son, mine is 9 :-)