[Tutor] comparing lists of strings with each other

Anna Ravenscroft anna at aleax.it
Wed Feb 4 15:39:32 EST 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 04:47 pm, jan willem maaskant wrote:

> i have two lists filled with strings and i want to filter the strings from
> one list out of the other.

You'd be better off with a list comprehension.

threelist = [i for i in onelist if i not in twolist]

But, if you really must use filter for some reason....:

> for example:
>
> listOne  = [ 'a','b','c']
> listTwo  = ['a','c']
>
> i want to remove the strings in listOne which are equal to the strings in
> listTwo.
> So the list i want to have must look like this.
>
> listThree = ['b']
>
> i tried it with the following code:
>
>     for key in listTwo:
>         if key != list:
>             return list

First, you really really don't want to use "list" as an argument or variable
name. list is one of the built-in types in Python, and you *REALLY* don't
want to use it as a variable name.

> however this results in

> ['a', 'b', 'c']
>

> so this is wrong, but what i really don't understand, is why the opposite
> seems to work quite fine
> if I put this code in

Okay, in order to see what's happening, I added some print statements to the
function. then ran the whole thing again.

alist = ['d', 'b', 'c']
blist = ['d', 'f', 'b']

def remstring(item):
    print 'filter passes item', item
    for key in blist:
        print "key is ", key
        if key != item:
            print "key != item. returning", item
            return item

clist = filter(remstring, alist)
print clist

filter passes item d
key is  d
key is  f
key != item. returning d
filter passes item b
key is  d
key != item. returning b
filter passes item c
key is  d
key != item. returning c

Does this help you see what's happening?

HTH,
Anna
--
There is a type 3 error in which your mind goes totally blank whenever you try
to remember which is which of type 1 and type 2.