[Tutor] Parsing large files

Andrew Eidson abeidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 15:40:00 EST 2004

Ok.. I have the file being read by csvreader.. but it seams that csvwriter can only write rows.. the file does not have field names so I am having difficulty copying specific columns to the seperate files. any suggestions on place for documenation.. everything I am finding has no information on writing individual columns.

Greg Gent <GGent at healthcare-automation.com> wrote:RTFQ.

The OP actaully stated that he was using a subset of columns into each of
the two resulting files. Each resulting file would have the same number of
rows as the original, not of each other (which since it was stated MORE THAN
1000 rows...your suggestion of 500 wouldn't accomplish same number of rows
in each file either).

As already stated the csv module seems appropriate.

BTW,

The unix split command will not simplify this task. It may split the file
into N 500 line pieces (if you tell it to use -l 500). However, that is not
what was asked.

Tutor maillist - Tutor at python.org