[Tutor] Short Version, New guy looking for some tips, Revisited.

Nick Lunt nick at javacat.f2s.com
Sat Feb 7 18:46:16 EST 2004

Hi Joshua,

I'm also a beginner at python, but I know what your saying.
Also I'm working on a small compression/archive program and the list helped me out with that.

However, in a bid to help you understand a little of the linux/python crossover here's a prog I wrote to give me a list off my currently installed gentoo apps. But do read the comments in it as it's not perfect and the way it does things could be better. Also, I no longer run gentoo so I am unable to test it at the moment although it did run fine last time I ran it on gentoo.

The prog is attached as Im not sure how my formatting will turn out if I cut n paste it here.

Also, I recently bought 2 python books, 'python text processing' and 'learning python 2nd edition'. The learning python book is excellent, and seen as how you already know shell scripts you will have no problems working your way through that book and understanding it. The text processing book Im not keen on, altho it is a recent book.

Anyway, hope my little prog helps you out.

Cheers
Nick.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:26:53 -0800