[Tutor] environment variable setting

Savitha 'n' Narahari savithari at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:01:21 EST 2004

Hello All:
        I know this question has been asked before, but I could not find the answer.
 So here it goes.

I currently use JScript and VBScript on WindozeXP to set environment variables and
make them permanent in the system space(not for user).  This is very handy for me in
the scripts I write.

I am now trying to replace JScript and VBScript with python since I think it is very
portable.  However, I could not find a way to persist the environment variables once
I leave the python script, aka I cannot persist it.  I dont want to use the registry
approach since it constrains me to Windoze platform.

So the summary question is

How do you make either putenv or os.environ["DATETIME"]="01022004" permanent,
meaning even after rebooting the box ?

Thanks
-Narahari