[Tutor] confusion and problems with first socket script

Xavier Combelle xcombelle at kedros.com
Thu Feb 19 08:10:08 EST 2004

Maybe other people are better than me in networking,
but I found a kind of answer, I give you as it is

Hameed Khan a écrit :

># According to documentation the argument to listen()
>is the number of connections we can accept at one
>time.

Apparently, the backlog argument  is the number of queued connection
and not the total number of connection  accepted.

*listen*( 	backlog)

Listen for connections made to the socket. The backlog argument
specifies the maximum number of queued connections and should be at
least 1; the maximum
value is system-dependent (usually 5).

One solution to accept just one connection at time and not create a new
thread to handle it

>	while True:
>		conn, addr = serversock.accept()
>		print "Client Connected:", addr
>		thread.start_new_thread(handConnect, (conn,))

    while True:
        conn, addr = serversock.accept()
        print "Client Connected:", addr
        handConnect (conn)

>if __name__ == "__main__":
>	main()

And if you don't want the client
you can add a time out just before the connection

sock.settimeout(3.0)