Re: [Tutor] Python to C++

Magnus Lycka magnus at
Fri Feb 20 05:30:37 EST 2004

Matthew Ozor wrote:
> I wrote a program that parse an HTML page on the internet.
> import urllib
> urlopener = urllib.URLopener()
> con ="http://test/test.html")
> output =
> Now 'output' holds the web page and that what I want. Is there any way
> to do this that easy in C/C++.

No. Of course, I don't have any formal proof of that, and I'm
sure the libs Danny referred to are very helpful for C++ web
coders, but I don't think it ever brings you close to the
developer productivity of Python.

The code at does a
bit more than your program, but not much more.

C++ has it's advantages, your programs might be faster, and it's
easier to make standalone executables etc, but when it comes to
developer ease and productivity, there is certainly a big difference
for this type of applications. It's another thing if you develop
drivers for hardware, or operating systems...

Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
phone: int+46 70 582 80 65, fax: int+46 70 612 80 65  mailto:magnus at