[Tutor] Socket connection refused

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 17:18:20 EST 2004

> I have found two ways to test this : I compile the server with
> py2exe and launch it, then I can run the client
> either running the module under IDLE or compiling it with py2exe.

I strongly recommend that you do NOT use py2exe until you get your
program working. One thing at a time. Its also much faster to develop
the program if you don;t have to go through the py2exe stage every
time yopu make a change!

Just run your client and server from a pair of command prompt windows.

Use Start-Run and enter "COMMAND" to start a command prompt
(aka DOS box). Do it twice to get two.

In one box start your client by typing:

C:\>python client.py

And in the other start your server

C:\>python server.py

(Actually its usually better to start the server first!)

Now you should see the prompts and output of each program in its
own box.

And having just seen the code I notice its a Tkinter client so
you only need one DOS box for the server, you can start the client
just by double clicking in explorer...

HTH,

Alan G