Re: [Tutor] Arrgh! Paths on windows!

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Tue Feb 24 11:11:20 EST 2004

The way it looks in your mail: with a line break after "Local",
there is certainly EndOfLine in a single-quoted string. I get
that error just as I expect. If I put the whole path on one line,
I get just the normalized path I expect.

Python is (quite deliberately) picky on whitespace handling,
but all languages I know of are picky about linebreaks in strings.

If you want to split the long string to fit in fewer columns,
you need to quote each segment separately.

>>> tmp = os.path.normpath("c:/Documents and Settings/"
                           "Joe Blow/Local "
                           "Settings/Temporary Internet Files")

Be careful to preserve the whitespaces as well. "Local " != "Local"