[Tutor] Re: newbie looking to avoid bad habits

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 28 10:42:45 EST 2004

Hi all,

thanks to Scott Widney, Alex Newby, and David Rock for the refs.,
etc. (Sorry if I missed anyone and for thread-breaking -- I'm on
digest.)

The python.org style guides are some help, thanks. For what it's
worth, http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html is the better
looking of the two versions of "Guido on Style". I've yet to do
the suggested google search. If I find anything that seems really
good, I will post about it.

In retrospect, I guess my question stands a good chance of being
unanswerable. When I teach formal logic, some students always ask
how to go about writing good proofs. The only thing that can
really be said to them is "read proofs, write proofs, and you will
begin to be able to tell good proofs from bad. (Wax on. Wax off.)"
In the end, I guess my question likely has the same answer.

Thanks again. Best to all,

Brian van den Broek