[Tutor] getting idle to run

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Sun Feb 29 07:44:12 EST 2004

Im runing gentoo1.4, python-2.3.3  +berkdb -bootstrap -build -doc +gdbm
-ipv6 +ncurses +readline +ssl +tcltk -ucs2
I have some experience of basic, forth, 6502, 8051 assembler & bash ..
but am just starting out on python.

OK here goes ... how do I get IDLE to start ?!

I am following "learning python" O'reilly.
Typing "idle" from python generated a "not defined error".
"import idle" generates "no module named idle"

I have searched my hard drive & have found its source ...

/usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyo
/usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyw
/usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py

However I am stumped !

Its probarbly realy simple to solve - but the book glosses over this bit
& a google has not faired much better.

Any help much appreciated

Dave