[Tutor] getting idle to run

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Sun Feb 29 12:59:35 EST 2004

Dave S wrote:

> Im runing gentoo1.4, python-2.3.3  +berkdb -bootstrap -build -doc
> +gdbm -ipv6 +ncurses +readline +ssl +tcltk -ucs2
> I have some experience of basic, forth, 6502, 8051 assembler & bash ..
> but am just starting out on python.
>
> OK here goes ... how do I get IDLE to start ?!
>
> I am following "learning python" O'reilly.
> Typing "idle" from python generated a "not defined error".
> "import idle" generates "no module named idle"
>
> I have searched my hard drive & have found its source ...
>
> /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyc
> /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyo
> /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyw
> /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py
>
> However I am stumped !
>
> Its probarbly realy simple to solve - but the book glosses over this
> bit & a google has not faired much better.
>
> Any help much appreciated
>
> Dave

Thanks for all your input .. OK here goes ...

I never thought of calling idle directly from bash (doh :-) ), it works
great !
I was trying "import idle" from within python.

Just as a side .. I decided to try python because everyone keeps
recommending it. So far its pretty cool ;-) ... page 75 of 589 .. I like
its style

Dave