[Tutor] writing a program in Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 1 05:45:54 EST 2004

> How do you actually write a program in Python?  I know
> how to use IDLE to manipulate data, but how do I write
> several lines of code that goes out and does stuff.

Can you give us an example of what you thoink of as a
real program? Most real programs just "manipulate data".
What do you think is missing? What else would you like
to do?

As for how to write the program physically, just use the
File->New menu to create a blank text editor window.
Type the code into that window and save it as a file
of type .py. Double clicking the file in Explorer
will run it. (You can also run it within Idle using
the Edit->Run menu, which is handy when fixing bugs)

HTH,

Alan G