[Tutor] Re: Python vs. C

Stanfield, Vicki {D167~Indianapolis} vicki.stanfield at ROCHE.COM
Fri Jan 9 13:25:06 EST 2004

Peter Jakubowicz wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:55:06 -0800:

> this because my Python programs are getting bigger, and occasionally I
> wonder if I want to learn C too. Plus, I've gotten to like programming

I always advocate learning C. If nothing else, it teaches you how memory
management is accomplished which languages which manage memory for you
like Python do not teach. I recommend learning C, doing lots of mallocs
and the like to get the feel for them, doing a lot of pointer stuff for
the same reason, and then abandoning C for Python. If you ever need to
use C, you will have that experience, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, you will
understand the drawbacks and benefits of these features of C well enough
to know when they will be useful. If you have the time, experiment with
C.

--vicki