[Tutor] Memory problem

Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos guillermo.fernandez at epfl.ch
Sun Jan 11 12:16:14 EST 2004

Hi,

First of all, happy year to all :-)

I'm playing with a database. I've done a user interface to this database
that do several queries and print the results. The problem is that, this
database being important (several hundred of thousands entries), each
time I do a query the use of RAM increases very substancially (several
dozens, sometimes a few undreds of Mb). I do something like:
dbresult=cursor.execute(query)

I was wondering if there is a way of making that memory 'free'
afterwards. I mean to say to python somehow 'I don't need dbresult
anymore, so you can forget it and give me back the memory'. I've tried
the gc module, but it does not seem to answer my needs as it works with
the number of objects refered, and not with the memory they use.

Thanks,

Guille