[Tutor] Beginners Help

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 20 01:15:08 EST 2004

> On Monday 19 January 2004 23:08, abeidson at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > I am not only new to Python.. but essentially new to programming in
> > general.. (the last program I wrote was in Basic 15 years ago for High
> > school). My job is starting to require me to do some type of programming to
> > interact with databases (DB4, DB2, SQL, and Oracle).

Hi Andy,

Python.org has details on Database Programming, starting from:

    http://www.python.org/topics/database/

Most documentation on databases and Python will assume that you know the
Python language already --- but if you want a taste of what database
programming looks like, you can look at:

    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/MySQL-Connectivity-With-Python/

It covers handling the MySQLdb database, but the concepts that they talk
about there should apply closely to any SQL-ish database.

But even this tutorial assumes familiarity with Python, so you definitely
sould look at the Intros page that Gus recommended first before tackling
the "Python Database Application Interface" (DB-API).  There's another
page that has more introductory material:

    http://www.python.org/topics/learn/non-prog.html

The "Non-Programmers" page has more emphasis on tutorials for folks that
may not have prior programming experience.

 Pick a tutorial you like, start reading it, and ask questions on Tutor
whenever you hit something that makes no sense.  *grin*

Good luck to you!