[Tutor] Beginners Help

hcohen2 hcohen2 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 10:37:12 EST 2004

abeidson at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I am not only new to Python.. but essentially new to programming in
> general.. (the last program I wrote was in Basic 15 years ago for High
> school). My job is starting to require me to do some type of
> programming to interact with databases (DB4, DB2, SQL, and Oracle).
> From everything I have read Python seems the best to start with.. but
> with all the books out there I was just looking for some insite.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Andy,

I know this is a python forum, but what exactly do you mean by you now
have the necessity of learning some programming?

If this means you have to construct some views of data, e.g. reports
there are potentially simpler approaches.  It may be a misnomer, but so
called end user reporting tools may be what you need.  These do require
some degree of sophistication in knowing your data structures and what
your individual elements of your results are comprised of and how they
are really determined (e.g. calculated/defined).

Learning python for an overall view may do no harm, but from the data
base products named you should be learning the SQL syntax employed by
each in their respective 'procedural' SQL tools.  Regarding what you
call SQL (do you mean SQL Server)  Microsoft or ASE (Adaptive SQL
Enterprise) Sybase?  They at least share the same base SQL scripting
language though they have now diverged where each has more sophisticated
ways of constructing queries: Transact-SQL.  Oracle has PL/SQL used in
stored procedures and user querying and SQL for interface applications
and I think reporting.  Sorry no study nor experience with DB2.

Python does have an API to interface with databases, but from a response
I got to my questioning about that interface it may not be optimal.  It
just might be that you should start with command line quries to learn
how much you need to learn.

If you are working with one of the Sybase servers, write to me directly
and I will give you whatever help I can.  One other thing you should be
aware of: both Sybase and Oracle will essentially give you a copy to use
for learning, not licensed for production use.  And I have heard that MS
SQLServer can be had on essentially the same terms.

Hope I have not confused the issue, but have given you a broader
perspective.  Learning python will do you no harm.  I am using my time
to finally come up to speed on this scripting language.

Herschel

PS Regarding the free software the International Sybase Users Group
gives a NT copy of the most recent Sybase server (at least they have for
the past two years).  There is an on-line Oracle developers forum that
offers copies of the most recent versions of their server.