[Tutor] Help - Where and when to use OOP

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 22:12:44 EST 2004

Lakmi munasinghe wrote:

> What I meant by a "repeating process" is repeating
> certain behaviors more than once.
>
> I am doing a blood transfution management system. I
> think my project is a moderate sized one.It contains
> mostly AI modules (coded using FLEX).
>
> What do you think the applicability of OOP for such
> kind of a project?

Since blood transfusions are complicated, with many
different aspects like diseases, blood type, etc.,
you're probably better off using object orientation.
You would probably only use an object for each
container of blood or something like that, and methods
would do all of the interfacing with donors and
recipients.

> I have another question : If I want to design our
> project using UML is it a must to use a OOP approach
> when I am doing the implementation? Can I use
> Usecases for a project that I dont use OOP concepts
> for coding ?

With Python, I don't see why you wouldn't want to use
OOP. If it is such a big project that you need to
spend a while designing the flow charts, object
orientation will probably be very helpful.

Daniel Ehrenberg