[Tutor] shelve error

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:37:19 EST 2004

> First of all, you should be using Python 2.3. 2.3 resolved many of 2.2's
> bugs and lets you use generators.

Hello!

Python 2.2's version of 'shelve' may depend on the 'bsddb' module.  On my
Linux systems, at least, I know that it has.

bsddb was buggy in 2.2, and was replaced in Python 2.3 with a more stable
implementation:

    http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html

The notes don't talk about why the old 'bsddb' module was retired, but
stability seems to be the major issue:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2002-May/011705.html

This bug did also effect the Windows version too:

    http://www.deadlybloodyserious.com/Python/2002/05/06.html

So definitely upgrade to Python 2.3.

> I don't see any real bugs in either version, though. When you get one of
> those Microsoft errors like that, it's Windows's fault, not Python's.

It's probably not Microsoft's fault either here... bsddb --- and the
modules that depended on it --- was just broken in Python 2.2, period.
*sigh* Thankfully, things look better now in 2.3.

Hope this helps!