[Tutor] Need suggestions on how to join a Python project.

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Fri Jan 23 15:44:55 EST 2004

> I know the standard method: propose patches to existing code.
> That usually takes a considerable period of time and a skill
> level I have not yet obtained.
>
> I have some free time to really learn python this time, and
> for me working on a real project accerates the process.  The
> down side would be that I would require some extra effort
> directing my work.  However, in the longer term I could become
> an asset.  Moreover, I have well nearly fifteen years
> experience as a professional coder.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?   (Forget Ask Slashdot, my post was rejected.)

Ask Slashdot.  ;)

Okay, seriously, is there a project related to anything you're
interested in?

If you're just looking for ideas, I'ld love to see a plugin
for PyBlosxom (http://roughingit.subtlehints.net/pyblosxom/ )
that outputs an RSS2 feed of the comments for a particular
entry.  I've got some sample code that outputs the RSS2 feed
for the comments for all the entries, so it just needs to be
modified to take into account the extra path information, and
use it when generating the rss.  Feel free to email me personally,
or the whole PyBlosxom Developer's List with whatever you come
up with.

As a side note, PyBlosxom was started as a learning project by
the main developer.  He certainly got a lot of good feedback as
people started adding code to the project, and planning out
code changes for later releases.

Later,
Blake.