[Tutor] Need suggestions on how to join a Python project.

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Sat Jan 24 00:16:41 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, hcohen2 wrote:

> I know the standard method: propose patches to existing code.  That
> usually takes a considerable period of time and a skill level I have not
> yet obtained.

Not necessarily.  Try using a program you like and then think of what
you'd like to have in it.

In my case, I was using nntplib, and found that I wished it had an option
to return newsgroup headers to a file, rather than in memory (sometimes
there can be a *lot* of headers).  I modified nntplib to acept a File
parameter, and now it's part of Python 2.3.

(In fairness, all the heavy lifting was done by a previous developer who
put in similar support, but only for the NNTP BODY command; I just
extended it to the other NNTP commands, which turned out to be amazingly
simple, given the prior work.)

--
Terry Carroll
Santa Clara, CA