[Tutor] raw_input function

hcohen2 hcohen2 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 14:21:19 EST 2004

Christopher Spears wrote:

>Where can I go to get some general information on how
>the raw_input function works?
>
>-Chris
>
>=====
>"I'm the last person to pretend that I'm a radio.  I'd rather go out and be a color television set."
>-David Bowie
>
>"Who dares wins"
>-British military motto
>
>"Far more creativity, today, goes into the marketing of products than into the products themselves..."
>-"Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson

Chris,

Look at some of the books on python, e.g. 'Learning Python' new edition
recently released or 'Core Python Programming'.

var_name = raw_input('Enter some information: ')

will always give you a sting result, even if you enter a list or some
numeric type.  To convert to a particular type use a function on it:

var_float = float(raw_input('Enter some information: ')),

but I would enclose something like this within a try: ... except: construct.

Also you could use

var_name = input('Enter...')

this will return the actual type you entered.

Hope that helps a bit,
Herschel