[Tutor] Create text file

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:35:48 EDT 2004

At 07:17 AM 7/1/2004, Bernard Lebel wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I searched througout the Python docs but can't find anything about that.
>
>Is there a way to create a text file in Python?
>So far I'm using a FileSystemObject (wich is an ActiveX object, running
>inside the Win32 module), in the form of
>
>fso.createtextfile( )
>
>But I'd like to stay away from active objects to maximize Windows-Linux
>compatibility.

fileObject = file('c:\\foo.txt', 'w')
fileObject.write('This is line 1\n')
fileObject.write('This is line 2\n')
fileObject.close()

Note explicit provision of newline characters (\n) at end of each line.

There is also a writelines method that takes a sequence of strings, so,
using other Python shortcuts, you could replace the above with one line of
code:

  file('c:\\foo.txt', 'w').writelines(['This is line 1\n', 'This is line 2\n'])

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625 home
720 938 2625 cell