[Tutor] downloading from a list

python at kc.rr.com python at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 11:52:42 CEST 2004

Hi, all. Still a Python newbie and messing around with urllib at the
moment. Here's the particulars...

I'm attempting to come up with a script which will download the mp3's
listed in a .m3u (playlist) file[1]. The heavy lifting is already done
and the script, as it stands looks like so:

import os, urllib

# ask for a url here...
print "enter the URL you want to download something from:"
# get the url and assign to 'url' variable
url = raw_input()
# declare the app to download with
downloader = '/sw/bin/wget '
# parse each line from the .m3u file
for line in urllib.urlopen(url).readlines():
# tell the system to use wget to download each item in the list
	os.system (downloader + line)
# be polite like mom said
print "All done. Enjoy!"

I was wondering, however, if there was any way for Python to just do
all the magic itself without relying on an outside application (like
wget), sorta like:

import os, urllib

print "enter the URL you want to download something from:"
url = raw_input()
for line in urllib.urlopen(url).readlines():
	# something incredibly clever right about here!
print "All done. Enjoy!"

I didn't see anything, but it's getting rather late (0500 CST) and I'm
feeling sleepy. Any hints on how to download those items in a list
without relying on an external application?

Many thanks for a hint or two!

tom

[1] Lots of musicians encourage downloading their tracks, just
automating it a bit for personal use and to stretch my python wings
tad. Check out magnatune.com for all sorts of musical goodness.

Weinberg's Law:

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization"