[Tutor] The % operator

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 21:19:53 CEST 2004

Hi Bernard,

> I meant the % operator at large. When I say that I couldn't retrieve
it I
> meant I couldn't retrieve its description in the documentation (wich
is the
> case for at 50% of the things I search!).

How are you searching?

In the case of % it is an operator so it won't be in the module help
pages
so you need to look in the Standard Library.

If you go to the index page and click Symbols you will find the
formatting
version listed.

The other use for % is as a numeric operation so you go to the Number
types in the table of contents. There it is listed as a modulo
operator.

Of course to do that search I had to know:
a) % is an operator - I can deduce that from sample code
    and I can confirm it by looking at the list of operators in
    the Language Reference help page.
b) operators are in the standard library help not the modules help
    - I know that from past experience gained fom trial and error!
c) the modulo version is a numeric operator - I might have deduced
    that from sample code...

How does that compare to your search approach?

Alan G
(In "teaching to fish" mode :-)