[Tutor] Exception attributes?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 20:47:39 CEST 2004

> I'm in the process of figuring out try: clauses and I've run into a
hitch.

> It seems that each exception has different attributes. How can I
discover
> what attributes are?

I assume you mean the different exception types? You can have
attributes
of exceptions too but I don't see those used all that often.

For the error type I use the >>> prompt and simply force an error then
see what kind of exception the error message gives.

eg:

>>> 7/0   -> ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

So I use

except ZeroDivisionError

>>> "fred" + 42  -> TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'int'
objects

So I use

except TypeError:

The >>> prompt is your friend.