[Tutor] Best book(s) for learning Tkinter?

Marv Boyes marvboyes at att.net
Wed Jul 14 05:14:30 CEST 2004

Hello, everyone. Here's my dilemma:

1) I want to learn Tkinter as thoroughly as would be necessary to be
able to write decent Python GUI applications that I (and maybe others)
might find useful. I plan on moving on to pyGTK as soon as possible, but
Tkinter strikes me as a good start from a conceptual point of view (if
I'm wrong, someone please disabuse me of this notion).

2) It's a shortcoming on my part, but I have a heck of a time teaching
myself anything by reading from a monitor. I've run across plenty of
excellent online tutorials, and have learned a lot from them, but I
simply drive myself buggy within an hour. And if it's not something that
I can save locally as a PDF or flat HTML, forget it. :) For me, fiction
is the e-book's best genre. If it's something I have to learn and
retain, and (especially) refer back to from time to time, I need a piece
of treeware that I can hold in my hands and carry around.

3) I realize that I'm going to get the best, most up-to-date information
online (most of the Python books in my local bookstores are woefully
outdated); that being said, I like to get the basics from books and
later fill in the gaps and bring myself current online.

So, these things being said, can anyone suggest a good book (or books)
for a serviceable knowledge of Tkinter? It's doesn't necessarily have to
be a book devoted to Tkinter (if there is such a thing); a Python book
with a really solid chapter or two on Tkinter would be fine. Most of the
Python books I've been able to thumb through have offered very skimpy
coverage, if any.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Marv
Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to Folding at Home.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/