[Tutor] generating list of arguments for lin alg

Carla A. Ng c-ng at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 15 19:34:05 CEST 2004

I'm fairly new to Python and have just gotten into using numarray...

I have a large system of equations I need to solve simultaneously (92
eqn's and unknowns) but haven't found a handy way to generate a list of
the 92 unknowns, and I certainly don't want to have to type them all in
to do it...
The system I'm trying to solve is essentially:

dNi=sum(Wij * dNj)
Where dN is a 92x1 vector and W is a 92x92 matrix.

since the value of each dNi depends on the value of the dNj that it is
related to via the matrix W, I can't see an easy way to do this by simply
inverting W.  Also, only a handful of the elements of dN are known at the
beginning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Carla