[Tutor] dangers of input()

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Tue Jul 20 13:25:30 CEST 2004

Alan Gauld wrote at 15:13 7/19/2004:
>The other wee point is that input() is not recommended because Python
>literally evaluates the user input which could be a malicious python
>command! Better to use raw_input and convert to an int or float.

The above is from another thread.

I was thinking of using input() instead of raw_input in my Frac.py
(posted yesterday). This would enable the user to enter things such as
"4**-3". Am I correct in assuming that this would be impossible to do
without using input()? If so, I may go ahead with input()--I'm the only
user, after all.

Dick Moores